Mainchin Chemicals, Trusted Global Partner & One Stop Solution for Phenol
Top Global Phenol Supplier
Phenol is an aromatic organic compound appreciably soluble in water with the molecular formula C6H6O. It is a white crystalline solid that is volatile. The molecule consists of a phenyl group (−C6H5) bonded to a hydroxy group (−OH). Mildly acidic, it requires careful handling because it can cause chemical burns. Phenol is a weak acid.
|Chemical (IUPAC) Name||: Phenol, Benzenol|
|Trade Name||: Phenol|
|Chemical Formula||: C6H6O|
|Synonyms||: Carbolic acid, Phenylic acid,Hydroxybenzene, Phenic acid|
|Appearance||: Transparent crystalline solid|
|Odor||: Sweet and tarry|
|Molar mass||: 94.113 g•mol−1|
|Melting point||: 40.5 °C (104.9 °F; 313.6 K)|
|Boiling point||: 181.7 °C (359.1 °F; 454.8 K)|
|Density||: 1.07 g/cm3|
|CAS Registry Number||: 108-95-2|
|EINECS Number||: 100.003.303|
|HS Code||: 29071110|
|Appearance, molten||Clear and Free of Suspended Matter|
|Purity, wt% min.||99.85|
|Freezing Point, °C min.||40.7|
|Colour, Pt-Co, APHA max.||010|
|Iron (Fe), ppm max.||0.5|
|Water, wt% max.||0.05|
In Drums, Cans and Tankers.
Usage & Applications
- Laminates and Ply
- Pharmaceuticals and Drugs
- Plastic – major uses of phenol, consuming two thirds of its production, involve its conversion to precursors to plastics. Condensation with acetone gives bisphenol-A, a key precursor to polycarbonates and epoxide resins. Condensation of phenol, alkylphenols, or diphenols with formaldehyde gives phenolic resins, a famous example of which is Bakelite.
- Phenols are widely used in household products and as intermediates for industrial synthesis For example, phenol itself is used (in low concentrations) as a disinfectant in household cleaners and in mouthwash.
- Phenol may have been the first surgical antiseptic.
- Phenol is also used in the study and extraction of bio-molecules. Molecular biology finds the application of phenol in the extraction of nucleic acids from tissue samples for further investigations.
- Cosmetics Industry – Phenol is also used in the cosmetic industry in the manufacturing of sunscreens, skin lightening creams and hair colouring solutions.
Mainchin Chemicals, Top Global Supplier of Phenol.